Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Don't Be Confused


Picture by Caprice Miller

“Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” – John 14:6

Talk about a mixed message.  Can you leave the cardboard or not?  If you do, will it still be acceptable if you forget to flatten it?  Are there certain kinds of cardboard that may or may not be left?  With messages like this, it’s hard to tell.  It’s concerning to think that a rule might be broken if it’s not “presented” correctly.  I would probably end up just taking my cardboard back home with me.  Who knows how many “would be cardboard tossers” have turned to hoarding due to this confusing message!
Okay, perhaps I’m exaggerating a bit.  The point is that if a message is too confusing and the rules keep changing people become frustrated and just leave.  Simple instructions are the best instructions.  Chances are that there was a simple message to begin with.  But then someone decided to change the rules which created confusion. 

It seems this is an historical problem when it comes to the truth of God too.  In the name of religion, confusion has been created through legalistic rules.  As a result, those that would have been coming to hear about God’s love and grace through Jesus instead receive a confusing message.  In many cases it’s a message that someone perceives as not being good enough for Jesus.  It’s sort of like the cardboard confusion.  “Okay, you can bring your cardboard here as long as it’s flat.”  (A.K.A. – “Okay, you can come in as long as you match our criteria.”)  Only to come back to find a note posted that says, “No, you may not leave your cardboard here any longer.” (A.K.A. – “Sorry, we’ve changed the rules.”)  No wonder so many are so confused about what it means to be a Christian and what the path to Heaven is. 
If we read the words of Jesus, the red ones in the Bible, He gives simple instructions.  He tells us that He is the way to God.  Not “A” way, but THE way.  There is no confusion there.  In fact, Jesus tells us in John 3:16 – For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”  Those “whoevers” mean just that – WHOEVER.   The reality is that if someone wants to have a relationship with God, Jesus is the way to do that.  It’s as simple as ABC – Admit, Believe, Confess.  Perhaps you have been searching for that place to “bring your cardboard” – your trash, so to speak, and just leave it.  You can do that right now just by saying this simple prayer:

Dear God, I admit that I am a sinner and that I have messed up from time to time. I believe that Jesus died on the cross for my sins and that God raised Him from the dead. I choose to follow You, Jesus, and I confess that You are my savior. Thank you, Jesus, for saving me. I love You. Amen.” 
That simple prayer is the step needed to be in a relationship with God and secure your place in heaven with Him.  Don’t keep this to yourself.  Share this decision with someone and get involved in God’s house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment