Friday, March 21, 2014

You Are Worth More


Picture by Caprice Miller

“Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Doesn’t she light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it?  And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.’  In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” – Luke 15:8-10
 

I have a thing for miniature things.  Tea sets, doll houses with tiny furniture, even miniature food such as sliders and tiny desserts.  Even though dimes are not the smallest in amount, they are the smallest in size of the coins.  So, naturally, that makes them a favorite coin.  They tend to be shinier than the other coins too.  It makes me a little giddy to think of a bunch of dimes all together like they are in this picture.  When you have a collection of something like miniature things or anything else for that matter, it makes a much better display when you keep them together.  They take on a characteristic of being “unique in their likeness”.  In other words, even though the item is a part of a similar/like collection, they are all unique in their own way.  As the collector of the items, I would immediately notice if one were missing.  And, yes, like the lady in the parable above, I would search and search until I found it.

But how does a collection of miniature things relate to a meaningful discussion about God?  Are we, His creation, suddenly like a collection item to Him to sit on a shelf (all be it, a very special shelf, I’m sure) and be admired for our “uniqueness in our likeness”?  NOT AT ALL!!!  The parable from Luke is one of three that Jesus tells in sequence.  He begins with a missing sheep, then talks about the missing coin and then ends with a prodigal son.  In our humanity, these situations would probably find us saying “it’s just a sheep.  I have 99 others.  Oh well.”  Or  “Well, I thought I had another coin.  Oh well.  I guess it will turn up at some point if I did.”  Or  “Ungrateful kid!  After all I’ve done for you!  See how you like it out there on your own.  Don’t come crawlin’ back here though when you fail!”   But with each story we find that there is great distress for what is missing.  And then even greater joy when it is found.  If you haven't read Luke 15, you should.

God created us to be in relationship with Him.  Like the father in the prodigal son story, it grieves Him greatly when we choose to walk away.  But He is always wanting you to come back home though.  Many times we convince ourselves that there is no way we could come to Him.  There is too much baggage and we have to clean up before we even try and just hope that He even accepts us.  But consider the son in the story.  He had just gotten to the lowest point of living in a pig pen and eating with the pigs too.  Imagine the humiliation this Jewish guy went through.  Chances are he didn’t have a chance or the money to get “cleaned up” before going back home.  So he was probably still his messy, pig covered self.  But when his father saw him, none of that mattered.  He RAN to his lost son!!! 

Don’t think you have to “DO” before you can come to the Father.  The work has been “DONE” through the sacrifice, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.    God has given us the opportunity to have that relationship with Him through Jesus Christ.  He offers that to everyone.  He is like the father of the prodigal son.  He is waiting for us to come to Him no matter what condition we are in.  He meets us where we are.  Know that you will be a cause of celebration when you decide to run to His waiting arms. You matter so much to Him and you are precious to Him. 

Ready to run back? Just pray this: Dear God, I admit that I am a sinner and that I have messed up from time to time. I believe that Jesus died on the cross for my sins and that God raised Him from the dead. I choose to follow You, Jesus, and I confess that You are my savior. Thank you, Jesus, for saving me. I love You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment