Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Appreciation


Picture by Caprice Miller
Art - "Standing Ovation" by Anitra Blayton

“Come, everyone! Clap your hands!  Shout to God with joyful praise!” – Psalm 41:1

I really appreciate a good performance.  I also appreciate the beauty of the world around me in nature and art.  And I appreciate desserts too – chocolate especially.  There are a lot of other things I appreciate also, but we’ll stop at these categories.  I have to admit though; I probably don’t show my appreciation for the things I appreciate in a way that lets others know just how much I appreciate these things.   Instead, I tend to take things for granted more often than not.  I just trust that people know that they did a good job in their performance, their display of art or creating something delicious.  I would also admit that there are times that I actually envy those skills and spend a lot of time trying to do something similar or better. I soon find myself frustrated at my attempt and just quit the whole project.  In the midst of it all I’m left wondering how those people make it look so easy and how my attempt could be such a flop?

The sculpture featured above can be found in Terminal D of the DFW airport.  Caprice actually looked up the story behind the piece.  Basically the artist wanted to give a reminder that we should more quickly applaud those around us who are doing good things.  There are so many around us each and every day who share their gifts and talents with us.  However, we may have become so use to it that we take it for granted and don’t think of it as special any longer.  I dare say that many don’t even consider their own gifts and talents as special at all.  That’s sort of the secret of understanding if it is a gift or talent…it may come easy to you, but to someone else, they wonder how in the world you do that thing you do. 

 These skills are truly God-given.  Within each of His creation God has woven unique abilities that help to set us apart from each other.  These are also the very things that give us joy as we do them.  And in turn, they give joy to those around us also.  It is important to remember that gifts and talents are not limited to musical, artistic or culinary skills.  Many times we overlook the gifts and talents of those who make life simpler because of their gift of hospitality or administration or encouragement or organization or wisdom and a whole list of other “out-of-the-spotlight” skills.  The bottom line is that we ALL have gifts and talents.  God wired us with these gifts and talents to use and share and to appreciate in ourselves and others also. 

It is interesting though that many times we don’t appreciate these gifts within us because they do come so easy to us.  We feel that “surely anyone can do what I do because it’s easy.”  Not so.  You are made with unique gifts and talents for a unique purpose in life.  Do not be distracted by the enemy who would like for you to believe otherwise.  Don’t envy what you don’t have.  Instead, appreciate and applaud the gifts and talents of others and recognize and appreciate what you have been given yourself.  As you do, show appreciation to God and thank Him for what He has given. 


Ask God to guide you in just how He would like for you to use what He has given you for His purposes – the purpose you were created for.   By pursuing His purpose for your life and utilizing your God-given gifts and talents you will find that you applaud others for doing the same instead of envying their gifts and talents.  Soon you may even lead others in what the verse above says as you show your appreciation:   Come, everyone! Clap your hands!  Shout to God with joyful praise!”

No comments:

Post a Comment