Friday, June 28, 2013

A Friend Who Sticks Closer Than A Brother...or Sister


 
Picture by Caprice Miller
“Samson”

 One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. – Proverbs 18:24

If you’ve ever had a pet, especially a dog, you probably understand the attachment that comes along with this companionship.  They let you know you were missed when you come home, you know they have your back, they love to play with you, they can be really great listeners and you never have to worry about them repeating that information to anyone who may not need to hear it.  It’s true that pets can be really great friends.  I'm sure this is why Caprice misses Samson now.  Sometimes we may wish we had human companions that were so reliable and loyal. 
The verse today reminds us that just because we have a lot of friends doesn’t mean we can always rely on them.  It’s important to know that we have a friend that sticks closer than a brother…or sister.  As my pastor, Ed Young, says you have to have the right THEY in your life.  We have to consider that the people we are closest to say a lot about who we are and have a lot to do with who we become.  If this is the case then the character quality of our friends is really important.  But what would be the best qualities to look for?  Here’s a good start.  Take a quick mental inventory of the friends in your life.  Are they:
Trustworthy
Honest
Encouraging
Yielded to God

As you ponder these qualities in your friends ask yourself, “Would these qualities define me as a friend also?”  This can be a loaded question for some.  There may be friends who we need to choose not to spend as much time with.  We may need to make changes in our own lives to be a better friend ourselves.   If this is the case, ask God to help you.  He can bring people into your life who have these qualities.  He can also help you become a “THEY friend”.

Knowing that the friends in my life have these qualities makes me want to reflect these qualities myself.  It’s important that my friends know that I have their back and that I’m going to be honest with them even when it may be difficult.  I want them to always feel encouraged when they are around me and most of all; I want them to know that my thoughts and opinions come from a heart yielded to God.  I don’t want to be “that friend” that causes another to come to ruin because I wasn’t reliable.  I want to be the “THEY friend” who sticks closer than a brother…or sister.  What a HUGE blessing to know I have friends who have these qualities!  I think I'll take the time to thank them now…. 

No comments:

Post a Comment