Friday, May 23, 2014

Branded

Picture by Caprice Miller

“But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!”  - Galatians 5:22-23
 
AAAHHH…. the brand of the Lone Star state.  I won’t deny it, I’m a proud Texas girl through and through.  As I’ve met people from around the country and even the world, I’ve noticed an interesting reaction when I tell them I’m a Texas girl, “born and raised”.  Some just seem to think “Uh, that’s great.” And move on to the next subject.  Others seem a little surprised and even more surprised when they find out I’m actually a 4th or 5th generation Texan.  When I go out of state or country, people seem to make a connection of “I thought you were a Texan” as we chat.  You would think it could be the accent that’s the dead giveaway.   However, I have much less of an accent than most of my family members.  (Although it does become stronger when we’re together.)  But it seems to be more of a collection of character traits that mark a Texan than an accent, I have discovered.  There is a sense that people get when they meet a Texan vs. what they think they know about a Texan.  There is just something that is expected to be “different” about us.

 It could be said that to know a Texan is to love a Texan.  (Disclaimer:  As with any family, there are….challenges to this statement.)   I can’t always pinpoint what it is, but I can say that my daddy would be that example of a good Texan.  He was a 6’4” teddy bear of a real man’s man.  He loved God, he loved his country and he loved his family. He could build a house, plant a big garden and brand a herd of cattle all in a day’s work.  (Okay, perhaps over a weekend.)  He was kind and gentle, but do NOT mess with his family.  He wasn’t arrogant, but he was the one everyone sought out for help and advice.  His wisdom was legendary.  You would come to him and pour out your problem and he would just listen.   After you were done he would draw a deep breath in and say in his deep, baritone Texas accent, “Weeeelll, I’ll tell ya….”  Followed by very wise and Godly advice.  Whether you took it or not would be up to you, but you knew he would still love you either way.  He also loved my momma deeply until the day the Lord took him home.  He was truly a man of great character. 

Come to think of it, the character traits in the verse above pretty much describe my daddy to a tee.  Hhhmmm,  I suppose that while you might think that he was just a great example of what a Texan should be, which he was, he was more of an example of what a Godly man should be.  Now, he would be the first to tell you that he was not a perfect man, but any credit given to him would be attributed quickly to what God did in his life.  Because of his and my mother’s love for God, it was easy for me to come to know and accept Christ into my own life.  I’m so thankful for such a great example of someone who allowed the Holy Spirit to develop those spiritual fruits in his own life.  He was known by them.  It really was like a brand on his heart.   I didn’t realize it at the time, but that example would hugely influence my own relationship with God.  I wanted that brand too. 

I’m so grateful for the brand my daddy had and taught me of.  You see, while he was a great example of those character traits and taught me about them, he couldn’t actually give them to me as part of my genetic makeup.  I had to make the choice to accept that gift of Christ in my own life, just like daddy did.  And each day I ask God to work in me so that His brand on my heart will shine, just like daddy did.   Daddy left a legacy to his family.  It inspires me every day to continue that legacy.  Not only with my own family but with others I meet too.  I want to share what I’ve been given so others can experience life change through Christ too – I want to share the brand.   I can’t help but think what might happen if each of us would allow God to work in us so His brand shines.  Imagine the life change we would experience.  Imagine the influence we could possibly have in the lives of others.    Sure, I’m a really proud Texan who is proud of her heritage, but the brand on my heart is not a lone star, it’s a cross.   I pray it shines brightly and that yours will too.        

No comments:

Post a Comment