Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Who's Thirsty?


Picture by Caprice Miller

“Jesus replied, “Anyone who drinks this water will soon become thirsty again.  But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life.”” – John 4:13-14

I do like knowing where I am when I travel through a chain of small towns.  If you miss the town marker on the side of the road you can always look for the water tower to let you know where you are.  It’s funny how we think of these things as more of a town “identifier” than where their water supply is stored.  When you think about it most of the town’s people probably never even consider the water supply location as they turn on their faucets and find flowing water every time.  We live in a society that tends to take this basic commodity for granted.   It’s only when it stops flowing from the faucet that we realize how we could be inconvenienced without it.    In that moment we realize all the things we can’t do:  brush our teeth, wash clothes, wash dishes, wash our hands, bathe and/or shower, cook, clean, drink it, swim in it, water the lawn, wash the car, wash the pets – the lists goes on.  We forget so easily that we can live without water for only a few days.   Not to be overly dramatic, but we would literally die without it!   

I have to confess, I’m guilty of taking something so simple and yet so important for granted.  I turn on my faucet and never think twice about it.  I reach for a bottle of water when I get thirsty and never consider that I could be without.  But a lack of water can literally bring us to a life or death moment.  What would I do if I lived somewhere that I had to actually GO to get my water?  I know I would certainly not take my water supply for granted if I had to struggle to make sure my family had enough. 

It’s hard to think of Jesus as thirsty, but He was living in that human body in a time when people depended on the town well to draw their daily supply from.  In the verse above, Jesus was the thirsty one at that moment when the Samaritan woman came up and He asked her for a drink.  She didn’t know it, at the time, but she was really the thirsty one here.  Jesus drew her into conversation and gently let her know that He knew all about her.  She didn’t seem surprised though.  I’m sure the way she lived her life was not a big secret in the town.  But He didn’t judge her.  He just helped her understand how thirsty she was.  Not for the water in the well, but for “Living Water” that would never leave her thirsty again.  As He revealed that He, the Messiah, was the source of this Living Water, she left her water jar and RAN to tell others about Him. 

This Living Water is one that can be taken for granted too.  As Christians we have a way of going about our business feeling satisfied with the water Christ has given us.  Meanwhile, we live among so many who are in that life or death moment and need the water we can bring them by introducing them to what we have – Christ.  Perhaps it’s the simplicity of coming to Jesus that can cause us to become complacent and just forget to share that Living Water.  After all, we know where the supply is, why wouldn’t others know?  And wouldn’t they tell us if they needed it?   People don’t realize they are thirsty, they just know they are missing something really important in their lives.   We should remember that our relationship with Christ is not a “one and done” thing.  Once we invite Him into our lives, we called to share that water.  We are told in Matthew 28:19 to GO AND TELL.  (I paraphrase)   Jesus came for all of us, but not everyone understands that.   We can’t keep this water to ourselves while people are dying of thirst.  Please take a lesson from Jesus’ approach to the Samaritan woman.  Who do you know who needs this water?  Don’t be afraid to just open the door to a conversation.  It’s about introducing them to a relationship with Christ – the source of Living Water.  It’s important!

No comments:

Post a Comment